This is a technical course that introduces the Ruby programming language. It is an instructor led presentation and hands on exercises course using MS Windows, but is equally applicable to other platforms such as Linux. The course material covers versions of Ruby from 1.9 onwards, but significant changes from earlier versions will be mentioned.
Delegates will learn how to
- Use the Ruby interactive interpreter to write and run Ruby programs
- Understand Ruby language elements
- Exploit the rich library of Ruby libraries and modules
- Recognize simple and complex variable types and select appropriately
- Use Ruby operators and built-in methods
- Understand procedural control flow in Ruby
- Program file input/output, including persistent data objects.
- Create well organized and efficient code using classes, methods and modules
- Use Object Oriented programming techniques in Ruby.
- Build robust applications with error trapping and reporting
- Run and control other programs from Ruby
- Take advantage of multi-core processors with multiprocessing.